“Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, [Jesus] said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
I’m writing to ask for your prayers for our “Intermed” Retreat for Philadelphia-area healthcare students and professionals this coming Saturday, February 28th from 4-9PM. The retreat will feature times of singing, speakers giving talks on the intersection of faith and medicine, small groups, food and fellowship, and a season of reflection. Although the retreat is short – just five hours from start to finish – we are expecting the Lord to do great things!
And, it comes at a strategic time in the students’ semester, a time where they are worn out by intense coursework and the prospect (for some) of preparing for “boards”, standardized exams that are required to continue their training. It is in this context that we join Jesus in saying, “Come away and get some rest.”
Please join me, then, in lifting up these praises and requests to Our Father:
* Praise God for providing Tenth Presbyterian Church in Center City as a convenient venue for the retreat.
* Praise God for a group of committed student leaders from around the city. Please pray that God leads first-year students to pick up the mantle of leadership as the second-year leaders move on, and away, for their clinical years.
* Pray that our speakers would be empowered by the Holy Spirit to give messages that are timely, challenging and filled with the hope of the gospel. Pray also that the Lord helps the students process these messages in ways that transform their everyday lives.
* Pray that lasting relationships are formed among students, and between students and healthcare providers. This is a unique opportunity for these sorts of relationships to begin, and to provide ongoing refreshment and mentoring throughout the year.
* Finally, pray for me, that God would: give me many spiritually significant conversations with those who attend, use me to connect others, guide me to help my group process what God is teaching them during small group time, and give me wisdom in offering feedback to the student leaders after the retreat is over.
Thanks so much for your prayers and partnership. I’ll update you shortly after the retreat ends!