In just a few hours, we will hold our first Summer Medical Institute (SMI) Philly outreach of the year! We will be offering free health screenings as a service to the Hunting Park (in North Philly) community, and using that as a bridge to share about Christ to anyone who will listen.
Here are some quick prayer requests for our outreaches and other aspects of the project:
- Pray that the evangelism training I led yesterday would be helpful as we do the outreaches.
- Please pray that our team of 20 students and other healthcare providers would trust in God, not ourselves, for every moment of the outreach. Pray that we would not be fearful of rejection and not knowing what to say in difficult interactions.
- Pray that we would be mindful of the spiritual battle all around us, and ask God for help ‘in the moment.’
- Pray for the people we will meet on our outreaches. Many of them are un/under-insured, in significant poverty, and facing many other challenges most of us have not experienced. At the same time, this is a blessing because often a sense of physical need translates into a sense of spiritual need, and we have much to learn from them. We long for them to know Jesus deeply.
- Of the 20 students on project, only 4 this year are men, so pray that I (Bryan) would invest in Alan, Dan, Luke, and Sam deeply. At the same time, I am so thankful for Sharon, who is spending a good deal of time on project and ministering to the women, so please pray for her as well.
- Please pray for the many graduate healthcare “faculty” who will be joining us at various points throughout the project. They will model for the students how to care for “the whole person”, but more importantly just “living life” with the students and investing in them informally. Pray for us, also, as we do some teaching throughout the project, the next session being Thursday morning.
- I’d like to express real thankfulness for Medical Campus Outreach (MCO), another medical ministry in the city, and Esperanza Health Center, a local Christian clinic, who are sponsoring SMI and have invested so much of their time and resources in this project. So many people have come together to make this project a reality, and we are truly grateful to be joining them in this Kingdom work. Please pray that God blesses them in every way.
- Finally, I will be at SMI Texas next week (Monday 18th – Friday 22nd), serving in a similar capacity, before returning for the third and final week of SMI Philly. Please pray for my time at SMI Texas, where roughly half of the students are from the Philadelphia area.
As always, we are thankful for you, our partners in this work. We have a deep sense that you are there with us through your prayers and gifts that make it all possible. We can’t wait to share more with you as the project unfolds.