Summer is here! Our first-year students have finished with their exams, second-year students are either studying for ‘boards’ (comprehensive exams necessary to continue with third-year) or starting rotations, and, things are relatively quiet here. Sort of like the shore at the end of the season.
But not quite. There’s still plenty to do, like:
- Give thanks for another great year of student ministry! This year, in addition to supporting our 5 major campuses, we also started connecting with, and supporting, several new ones: Arcadia (formerly Beaver), Penn Dental, Temple Dental, and, Temple Podiatry. We enjoyed discipling/mentoring many individual students, developing leaders and helping them reach their campuses, hosting students in our home for bible study brunches, and, provide relational counseling for couples.
- Give thanks that our ministry ‘council’ (healthcare providers who work alongside me in ministry, also providing encouragement and accountability) doubled from 3 to 6. This has been such an incredible encouragement and greatly increased what we’re able to do.
- Hire a part-time ministry assistant. God’s continued blessing has led to greater administrative and relational ministry needs, especially with our female students. We hope to hire an assistant by August when our academic year begins.
- Raise support. Along with other increased costs, hiring a ministry assistant will require us to raise additional funds.
Prepare for fall Intermed and our first-ever student overnight retreat. We’re asking God to use these events to refresh our current students, and, to enfold new students into our fellowships quickly.
- Continue meeting with students. While many students are away or busy with rotations, some have limited availability and we plan on taking advantage of that! We’re also hosting 5 gatherings for the students over the summer as we study the Book of Malachi and the theme of spiritual refreshment. This past Sunday, we concluded our study with ‘designer s’mores’ and great discussion on the patio late into the night!
- Help our current leaders get ready for the new year. Although we’ve already discussed vision and strategy for the first few weeks back, during the summer I will continue to touch base with our leaders so that we’re ready for this narrow, yet critical, window of opportunity.
As you can see, there’s plenty to do… and pray for. Will you please join us in bringing these concerns before the Father over this next month?
Thank you for being a largely unseen, but so, so critical, part of our ministry. We look forward to seeing you in July with another update!
Bryan & Sharon