Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Over recent months, God has challenged us to think about how we can focus on what we do best, and, where we can bring unique value to the students and professionals in our area. With 8 different campuses, we want to have an increasingly clear focus on what matters most!
Without a doubt, one way we can ‘mak[e] the best use of the time’ is to invest in our student leaders. Since they impact others in their campus fellowships and experience nearly 100% turnover each year, equipping them is one of our highest priorities.
This past Saturday, along with Medical Campus Outreach (MCO), God allowed us to do exactly that. Fifteen students from 7 of our 8 campuses joined us for a half-day event that exceeded our expectations. In addition, a resident and three professionals currently supporting the students joined us for portions of the day. Later, one of them shared this:
I was glad to come! Thanks for organizing it! I was able to get in some catching-up with [two of the women], and to hear the Temple guys out as they formed their “keys to the game” for the coming year – both very excellent things! Especially that last little bit was helpful and I feel more aware of their priorities for the coming year and also more able to be involved.
Here are the topics we emphasized:
- What Matters Most: Your Walk With the Lord
- Servant Leadership (led by Steve Munz, MCO)
- 12 Principles of a Successful Campus Leadership Team
- Everyone’s Back: Now What? (Reaching First-Year Students, Establishing A Clear Vision)
Throughout the day, we allowed for small group sessions by campus so that the leaders could personalize what we discussed. Afterwards, I emailed some key follow-up questions and will touch base on them as I go around to our campuses.
All in all, it was a tremendous time of teaching, fellowship and application. We trust that God will multiply our small investment in the months to come. Thank you, dear friends, for making it possible. You are an absolutely essential part of our team!
Bryan & Sharon
Please join us in praise & prayer for the following:
- Praise God that the students are back! And, that the Campus Leadership Summit went so well. Pray that God helps our leaders apply a few things God impressed upon them, and, that he helps me (Bryan) follow-up faithfully.
- Praise God for a new (to me) ministry car. So thankful!
- Please pray for great wisdom as I visit all our campuses as much as possible this first month. I need God’s help in discerning what each campus’s leaders needs are, how I can help, and, which men to start/continue investing in. Pray also that God helps Sharon connect with the women He has in mind.
- Pray for many first-year students to get involved: they are the future of our campuses and next year’s leaders!
- Pray for new donors, and, our overall account balance, which is lower at this time.
- Pray for Intermed (teaching, fellowship, worship for local healthcare students and professionals; domestic missions theme) on Sat. 9/20 from 9a-1:30p at Esperanza’s Hunting Park location.
- Finally, pray that many students and residents would come out to our Fall Retreat on 10/11-12. We’re praying for 25 to sign up, in addition to several professionals to serve on a panel and connect with those who come.