Sharon and I recently took a self-paced DVD course in photography. Although we’re not exactly shutterbugs yet, one of the principles that kept coming up went something like this:
Don’t miss life in the process of taking the perfect picture – just take a few snapshots and move on!
This month, we’re going to give you just that – a few snapshots of what God did. We hope you’ll enjoy reading about them as much as we did participating in them!
- June 12th – met with a ministry leader and friend about supporting a new campus in our area. One of our council members serves as adjunct faculty there, and, there’s a strong faculty adviser already in place, so we’re excited to see how we can help.
- June 17th – first meeting with a new couple we’re mentoring. Great time getting to know them and their stories.
- June 18th – nice time of discipleship with one of our campus leaders. In response to the question, ‘What was one key thing God has been teaching you this year?’, he mentioned ‘God has taught me to be quieter and listen more to what others have to say’. Priceless.
- later that day – reconnected with a physician I hadn’t seen in some time. I appreciated his candor in asking for prayer to overcome cynicism and living for comfort. His request itself is a sign of God’s work.
- June 21st – spoke with a physician who wants to get involved with PCOM, one of our medical campuses. Her willingness to jump in and see what God will do is exactly what the students need!
- June 22nd – hosted a gathering for students, residents and practicing professionals at our home. God gave a true spirit of openness and vulnerability, with a theme of ‘trusting God when life is hard’ emerging among our professionals. Great for those who are younger to listen in and learn.
- June 25th – met with a student leader at one of our dental campuses. Met with two of his co-leaders on different days because their schedules are so intense we couldn’t coordinate! We’re working together to see how we can create a community in this environment.
- later that day – met with a local pastor who’s completed medical school before receiving a call to ministry. Curious to see how God will let us work together!
- July 2nd – terrific time of discipleship with a student. God used his questions about a relationship and his future calling to lead us into even deeper issues that, more fully explored, will lead to great blessing in his life.
- July 4-6th – officiated the wedding of two of our student leaders! We had done their pre-engagement/marital counseling, so it was a privilege to be there for their special day. We also had the chance to visit two couples from the area who are good friends and supporters of our ministry.
So, there you have it… or, some of it, anyway! A lot more happened, but hopefully this gives you a feel for this past month. Thank you, thank you for allowing us to do what we do!
Bryan & Sharon
For prayer & praise:
- praise for a balanced month where we enjoyed time with students, but, as many are away or busy, also with other people who are both friends and essential to the ministry.
- praise for the privilege to share in the Tim’s & Tiff’s wedding. It was such a great joy to see them officially starting their new life together!
- praise that God has provided us with a cost-effective, solid car I can use for ministry. Thanks to the many, many people who prayed, networked and contributed to this effort!
- praise for our first-ever picnic for residents and fellows (7/12) and the two local physicians who graciously hosted. Those who came want to meet on a semi-regular basis and stay connected with each other.
- pray for our support development efforts to yield fruit.
- pray for our next summer gathering (7/20) and citywide campus leadership training (8/23).
- pray that our family’s time away at ‘Joni & Friends Camp’ (7/28-8/1) is both restful and a time to grow in what it means to have Matthew as part of our family.