Vision – Transformed Healthcare Workers, Transforming the World
Practicing medicine represents a phenomenal opportunity to follow the Great Physician, Jesus, in caring for “the whole person”, both body and soul. Patients come to healthcare workers at times of physical crisis, and so are often open to freely sharing about their deeper, spiritual needs. In addition, one-in-five physicians in the United States comes to Philadelphia for some portion of their training, so by faithfully ministering here we can reach the country, and even the world, as many go on to short- and long-term missions.
However, medical training is brutal in terms of its intensity and opposition to the Christian faith. Many believers, eager to follow Christ at the outset of their training, become lukewarm and jaded by its end. As a result, they need encouragement to stay connected to Christ and others along the way. This is where we come in!
How We Carry Our Vision Out
This is an over-simplication, but our ministry is essentially an InterVarsity or Campus Crusade for Philadelphia’s healthcare campuses. As CMDA’s Area Director, I serve as a pastor to our city’s five medical campuses, serving alongside a team of physicians in accomplishing that mission.
On a practical level, I:
- mentor or disciple individual students
- develop leaders – helping campus leaders develop and implement a vision specific to their campus
- teach – leading bible studies, helping students connect their faith to their lives in medicine
- network – connecting students with older healthcare professionals, who serve as models for them
- outreach – helping students reach their unbelieving peers for Christ
We hope this gives you a clear, succinct picture of what God has called us to. To learn more, visit this blog’s home page or contact me using the form below. I look forward to hearing from you soon!